Are You Living Life True to Yourself?
Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you’re scared to death. ~Harold Wilson
There’s a certain comfort and safety in being a part of the crowd, but sometimes in life we have to make a decision; the decision to follow where our heart leads us rather than walking a predetermined (safe) path that isn’t truly ours.
Sometimes we just have to have the courage to become our own person, even if it doesn’t conform to what others think we should be or do with our life.
While following your heart will give you a much greater chance to find happiness and fulfillment; it will also take courage … sometimes a lot of courage.
The truth is, when you choose to follow your own path, others may question your choices, and in some cases maybe even ridicule you. Maybe they fear being left behind, or having to face the results of their own life choices, or maybe it’s just that you are forcing them to redefine the neat little label they’ve created for who they believe you are.
Choosing Your Own Life’s Adventure
- It’s your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you. ~Author Unknown
- To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don’t worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest. ~Author Unknown
- The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do. ~Walter Bagehot
- Often times what sets you apart can feel like a burden – but it’s not, it’s what makes you great. ~Author Unknown
- Instead of wishing you were someone else, be proud of who you are. You never know who has been looking at you wishing they were you. ~Author Unknown
- I was once afraid of people saying, “Who does she think she is?” Now I have the courage to stand and say, “This is who I am.” ~Oprah Winfrey
- Did you just fall? No, I attacked the floor. Backwards? Hey, What can I say, I’m freaking talented! ~Author Unknown
- There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, Yes, I’ve got dreams, of course I’ve got dreams. Then they put the box away and bring it out once in awhile to look in it, and yep, they’re still there. These are great dreams, but they never even get out of the box. It takes an uncommon amount of guts to put your dreams on the line, to hold them up and say, How good or how bad am I? That’s where courage comes in. ~Erma Louise Bombeck
- Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
- I may not (yet) be where I need to be but I thank God that I’m not where I used to be! ~Joyce Meyers
- The more you love your choices, the less you need others to accept them. ~Author Unknown
- Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. ~Cecil Beaton
- When someone says “you’ve changed” it simply means you’ve stopped living your life their way. ~Author Unknown
- None of us needs instruction in how to recognize what your heart is saying. We do need guidance, however, on how to have the courage to follow those feelings, since they will force us to change our lives in any case. But consider the consequences of not listening to the heart’s guidance: depression, confusion, and the wretched feeling that we are not on our life’s true path, but viewing it from a distance. ~Caroline Myss
- Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have the obligation to be one. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
- It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power. ~Alan Cohen
- People say I’m different, and I assure you that’s okay, cause I’m way past tomorrow and they’re still stuck in today. ~Author Unknown
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. ~Bonnie Ware, The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying
Every path leads somewhere – the question I want you to ask yourself is this … if you continue down the path your on today will you get where you want to go?
I hope you’ll consider contributing to the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing this post with your friends! In fact I’d love to connect with YOU! To follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., just click here.
I also hope you will consider joining our Subscriber Community! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up, and then each new article will be conveniently delivered to your email inbox … and of course you’ll also receive your free copy of my NEW Welcome Gift for Subscribers – Believe in Yourself!
To conveniently subscribe – press here.