Learn to Flip the Switch to Create an Instant Mood Boost
Sometimes you don’t even know what triggers a bad mood, but it’s there and you can’t avoid it … like an elephant in the room.
We all have times when we fall into a funk. You know like when you wake up cranky and even if the sun is shining and all is well with the world, you’re annoyed…or maybe you’re just feeling a little sad or unfocused. Maybe you’re having a tough time getting over something someone said or did to hurt your feelings or piss you off, or maybe you’re not even really sure what triggered the moodiness … but there it is nonetheless like an elephant in the room.
Whatever the case may be, you are feeling something you don’t want to, and you’re not sure how to change it.
Rather than leave yourself at the mercy of a bad mood trying to push through or wait it out, there is positive action you can take to improve your state of mind.
Learn to Flip Your “Switch”
Fortunately, it’s not as difficult or time-consuming as you might think to lift your mood and get into a happier frame of mind. We all have triggers that immediately lift our spirits and make us smile … think of these are your instant mood boosters, and your strategy is to flip the switch on your mood with that trigger to lift your spirits.
Your mood boosters could be things that relax you, make you feel happy, warm-hearted, smile, laugh, peaceful, and other good feelings. They could be a combination of memories, music, sport, hobby, pets, foods, nature, and many more. We are all touched by different experiences and conditions.
When you are upset and lost, confused or discontent, try doing something sweet for someone else. The effect is catastrophic on a bad mood. ~Ryan Crowe
To help you start your own list, here are a few of my instant mood boosters:
- Sing a favorite song – really belt out the tune!
- Car dancing (When the driver in the next car looks at me like I’m crazy – I just smile real big and wave and they almost always start laughing – which is like a bonus because now I’ve given someone else a mood boost!).
- Pay it forward … do something nice for someone, just because.
- Aromatherapy – incense, fresh fragrant flowers (especially gardenias or pakalana), the smell of freshly cut grass.
- Curl up with a good book, my dog and glass of red wine.
- Walking barefoot on the beach.
- One perfect piece of dark chocolate.
- Listen to the song “I Gotta Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas (which I just did!).
- Treat myself to a matinee and popcorn.
- Work on plans for my first vacation in 5 years!
- Bake a batch of my famous chocolate chip cookies and give them away.
- Exercise … yoga, long walk in the park with my dog.
- Clear the clutter.
- Work on a challenging puzzle.
- Fresh strawberries in a glass of champagne.
- Learn something new.
- Watch a classic “Lucy” episode.
- Get a massage or pedicure.
- Focus on all the things I have to be grateful for.
Bad moods will come and go … and the truth is sometimes you really just feel like indulging and letting yourself wallow in it for awhile. There’s no law that says you have to be exuding joy every waking hour of your day … and if you did people might just start to wonder about you! But when you’ve got stuff to do, a cranky mood doesn’t help and frankly life is far too short to waste feeling unhappy.
The good news is our wonderful brains don’t seem to be able to hang on to grumpy thoughts and happy thoughts at the same time. So by stopping for a moment, and flipping the switch to force yourself to think about what makes you happy in life, you can create a profound shift in your perspective and your mood.
I hope you will consider joining the IGG Community! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up, and then each new article will be conveniently delivered to your email inbox … and of course you’ll also receive your Free Welcome Gift.
To learn more – press here.