Need a Confidence Boost? Take Time to Appreciate Just How Awesome You Really Are!
Let today be the day you stand strong in the truth of your beauty and journey through your day without attachment to the validation of others. ~ Steve Marabo
Self-confidence is a trait we tend to associate with strength, success and unfailing tenacity.
And while it can be all of those things, it’s also pretty fragile and the smallest thing can boost it or snuff it out in a moment.
This doesn’t just apply to us mere mortals … even the richest, most accomplished and successful people in the world occasionally suffer periods of self-doubt and insecurity.
Now there are plenty of tips and tricks I could list here for short term confidence and self-esteem boosters, but I think sometimes we become so caught up in the pursuit of change and self-improvement we end up completely ignoring all of the awesome qualities that already exist within us.
So, let me ask you a question; just between us …
When was the last time you took the time to appreciate yourself for who you are right now? When was the last time you took the time to think about what you’ve accomplished – big or small – in the last month or year, maybe even dared to give yourself a little pat on the back?
I know for some people this is really difficult, and there are even those who feel any focus on ‘self’ is feeding the ego.
The true value of appreciating yourself is that when you put your attention on you in an authentic way, everything in your life that is important to you—your work, relationships and goals—flows from there with a sense of ease, joy and, most important, love.
Here are a few things to appreciate about you to get you started:
- You intentionally learn new things which help you grow and contribute to the world.
- You bounce back from bad days and disappointments.
- You do what’s right for you, even if it’s not easy to say no to other people (and even if you occasionally people please).
- You choose to be around people who make you feel good about yourself.
- You work toward goals that make you feel passionate and purposeful.
- You have good intentions.
- You accept people for who they are and try to keep an open mind.
- You listen to people when they need an ear.
- You’re compassionate toward other people.
- You forgive people when they make mistakes, even if sometimes it’s hard.
- You let other people know that you appreciate them for who they are.
- You help other people reach their potential.
- You’re honest with people, even if sometimes vulnerability feels scary.
- You genuinely care about your work, and you do it passionately.
- You recycle to preserve our natural resources.
- You give back, whether that means volunteering, donating old clothes, or simply helping a stranger in need.
- You share your knowledge and experience with someone every day, whether you realize it or not.
- You are trust-worthy.
- You’re a hottie – no seriously. Look in the mirror and smile … not one of those half-hearted shy smiles. Really let your light shine! See! I told you so!
- You have a great laugh and you love to make others laugh along with you.
What can you add to this list?
The best way to find peace and self-confidence is to learn to love yourself for who you are … all your weaknesses, marvelous quirks and awesome strengths.
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you. ~Dr. Seuss
If you enjoyed this article or would like to contribute to the conversation, please take a moment to leave a comment … or if you’re a regular visit to IGG and would be interested in leaving a kind word or two, please pop over to my new Testimonial page … either way, love to hear from you!
I hope you will consider joining our Subscriber Community! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up, and then each new article will be conveniently delivered to your email inbox … and of course you’ll also receive your Free Welcome Gift the 12-Steps Guide to Building Resilience (a great way to begin learning about resilience!)
To conveniently subscribe – press here.