Taking Time to Appreciate a Few of Life’s Carefree Moments of Pure Joy
There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~Gandhi
Most of us understand and appreciate the value of gratitude; it’s just that it’s so easy to overlook the moments of pure joy we experience each day as we set about maneuvering through our hectic lives.
My little gal-pal Lucy over here on the left reminded me recently of the rewards of taking a little extra time to recognize and take full advantage of these special moments.
Let me back up and share what inspired this post … one morning recently, when I first began to wake up, I realized Lucy was sitting next to me on the bed, so close I could feel her breath on my face. I decided to keep my eyes (mostly) shut and see what she would do. She stared at my face for the longest time, turning her head one way and then the other in that “curious” way dogs will do. Then she inched a little closer, and a little closer, until her nose was practically touching mine and it was all I could do to keep from laughing. Then she moved so close she was leaning on me, and laid her head down on my neck, and just took a deep breath and made this cooing sound and settled in. Wow, what a sweet moment.
The truth is, if we can learn to recognize and take that little bit of extra time to appreciate them, we’d find that there are millions of smaller events when, for just that brief moment, we are filled with pure joy and don’t have a care in the world.
I’d like to share with you a few of my favorite moments of pure joy, and hope that this list will inspire you to think about and share a few of your own …
- Getting on a plane and having the entire row to myself.
- Perfect parallel parking on the first try.
- Hitting a bunch of green lights in a row.
- Roasting the perfect marshmallow.
- When the vending machine spits out two things instead of one.
- Eating ridiculous things for breakfast (Cold pizza and coke – yea!)
- Taking off my bra off at the end of the day. (You have no idea guys …)
- Finding paper money in my pocket I didn’t realize I had.
- Taking an afternoon nap, especially on a cool rainy day.
- Seeing someone succeed at something I’ve taught them.
There is nothing like that first kiss, the one where you feel like you’re going to fall inside the other person, when you get dizzy and forget who you are. ~Author Unknown
- That first real kiss. Good, bad or indifferent, we never really forget our first real kiss. I truly hope yours was as spectacular as mine – just the two of us on a small boat lazily drifting down the Louisiana Bayou under the early evening shade of mammoth trees … yowza!
- Getting an actual handwritten letter.
- The smell in the air just before it rains.
- That moment when you dare to look at someone you’re attracted to and discover they are already looking at you.
- Wearing my favorite old comfy t-shirt.
- Accomplishing something everyone told me not to even bother trying because it couldn’t be done.
- That ping when I hit the sweet spot on the golf ball when driving off the tee.
- Watching someone open a gift I know they will love.
- Overcoming something I have long feared or avoided.
- The smell of fresh cut grass.
- Crawling into bed on sheets that have just come from the dryer.
- Falling asleep to the sound of gentle waves washing up on the nearby beach.
- Unexpected money. Don’t you just love those 3 paycheck months?! I no longer get “paychecks” but I do love the periodic “surprise” royalty checks from Amazon for sales of my books in other countries. There’s something really kind of mind-boggling thinking about people as far away as France or Germany actually paying to read something I’ve written!
- A perfectly executed clean twist of an Oreo cookie.
- When little kids hit the age where they start saying “Hi!” to anyone and everyone.
- Eating the first freshly baked cookie from the oven even though it’s way too hot.
- A long hug when I really need it.
- How thrilled my dog is to see me when I walk in the door, even when I’ve only been gone for the ten minute walk down the hill to grab the mail.
- Slurping the last of the sugary milk out of the cereal bowl.
- Popping bubble wrap.
- Sneaking McDonald’s up to my room in an expensive hotel and watching the faces of the people in the elevator as they start picking up on the smell of french fries.
- Enjoying my first cup of coffee while standing on my deck on a chilly morning watching the sun come up over Haleakala.
What’s so wonderful about becoming more aware is discovering that there are awesome moments happening every day all around us; things that perhaps we’ve never given a second thought … like when a real person answers the phone.
How about you … what are a few of your favorite moments?
I hope you’ll consider contributing to the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing this post with your friends! In fact I’d love to connect with YOU! To follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., just click here.
I also hope you will consider joining the IGG Community! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up, and then each new article will be conveniently delivered to your email inbox … and of course you’ll also receive your free copy of my NEW Welcome Gift for Subscribers – Believe in Yourself!
To learn more – press here.